Pigmentation Removal Treatment in Singapore
why treat it?
Everyone desires clear, even-toned skin and bright complexion. Unsightly blotches of pigmentation damages your skin tone and dulls your natural beauty.
In Singapore, skin pigmentation can result from inherited factors or environmental damage. Many patients come to us for pigmentation removal solutions. Freckles from melanin production, age and sun spots, dark spots, cafe au lait macules, Hori’s nevus, Nevus of Ota, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and melasma are some of the conditions we treat frequently.
Safe and effective laser pigmentation removal in Singapore
with our evidence-based treatments
Discovery Pico Plus for Skin Pigmentation Treatments in Singapore
Discovery Pico Plus is a medical grade second-generation triple wavelength picosecond laser that generates the highest peak power in the world. With more than 5 times the peak power of the most powerful nanosecond Nd:YAG laser (Starwalker) and 450 picosecond laser pulses that are more than 10 times shorter, it is able to produce more photoacoustic effect with less collateral damage on the skin. This means that it can shatter pigmentation more effectively leading to quicker results and lower risk of complications for all skin types.
The third ruby 694nm wavelength is highly specific for melanin and is able to remove certain types of pigmentation more quickly with less risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation compared to the limited 532/1064nm wavelength of most picosecond lasers. Apart from treating acne scars, the Pico Laser is a highly effective non invasive laser pigmentation removal treatment for skin pigmentation issues common in Singapore like freckles, age spots, sun spots and dark spots.
Fractional Picosecond Laser - Discovery Pico Plus in Singapore
A Pico Laser with a special microlens array further that focuses energy into numerous micro-beams 2mm under the skin, effectively targeting skin cells within. This produces very high energy in the microbeams that can clear stubborn pigmentation more effectively while reducing the risk of complications by leaving a fraction of skin untreated to help heal the treated skin. It is suitable for all skin types and different types of pigmentation problems in Singapore.
Fractional Thulium Laser for Pigmentation Treatment in Singapore
Thulium laser is a pigmentation removal treatment that has a wavelength of 1927nm and is able to selectively remove only the superficial layer of the skin where most of the pigmentation is concentrated, leading to a whitening effect, collagen stimulation and improvement in pigmentation. Due to the very controlled damage when applied in a fractional manner, there is very minimal downtime. This laser treatment can work on various skin tones, acne scars, freckles and skin with pigmentation from sun damage in Singapore.
1Aesthetics's View on Pigmentation Removal Treatments in Singapore
dr wan's perspective
Dr Wan strongly advocates a meticulous and holistic approach. It is imperative to review the patient’s history and skin condition in detail for a proper diagnosis, the crucial first step towards designing a pigmentation removal plan and proper removal of pigmentation.
Dr Wan does not subscribe to a one size fits all approach to treating pigmentation in Singapore, such as the indiscriminate application of laser toning or facials that can lead to slow results and potentially serious side effects. It is important to analyze and customize treatment to each patient’s diagnosis, skin colour and personal characteristics such as response to laser therapy so that the pigmentation can be removed with minimal fuss and risk. Every patient is different and what works for some may not work for others, thus it is important to have a wide range of cutting-edge pigmentation removal treatment options available.
While it is possible for certain pigmentation treatments to lighten pigmentation without lasers, it is often slow, difficult or fail to show significant result. This is because most pigmentation medications rely on slowing down pigmentation production and encouraging the skin to remove the pigmentation, which tend to take a long time. Lasers directly destroy built up pigmentation within the skin in a specific manner, producing faster and more obvious lightening. Thus, lasers are the preferred treatment of choice when it comes to pigmentation removal.
Dr Wan has performed many thousands of pigmentation laser treatments in Singapore over more than 5 years. In his opinion, the difficult part about treating pigmentation is often not removal but keeping the pigmentation away, hence aftercare is very important. Pigmentation treatments are not just about using machines; it is also essential to use topical and oral medication as well as sun protection to control pigmentation production on the skin.
- Melasma is influenced by genetic, hormonal factors as well as sun exposure and tends to recur on skin
- Greatly affects skin tone
- Nne of the most common skin problems that Dr Wan has been treating
- Currently, there is no laser or pigmentation treatment that can get rid of melasma forever
- A combination of laser treatment to lighten the pigmentation and medication (topical and oral) to control pigmentation production will be able to significantly lighten or even clear the melasma in most cases
- Medications are essential to suppress the melasma activity on skin
- White spots can develop after prolonged or excessive traditional nanosecond laser. Dr Wan prefers to use fractional thulium laser which has added rejuvenation benefits and can keep melasma away from skin for a longer period of time.
- Nanosecond q-switched laser has largely been superseded by newer picosecond lasers which are safer and more effective. Dr Wan prefers to use the fractional microlens array handpiece and ruby wavelength from Pico Lasers due to higher specificity for melanin and lower risk of noticeable white spots.
- Certain cases may still require traditional full-field picosecond laser as melasma often has a heterogeneous response to pigmentation treatment.
- Fractional Microneedle Radiofrequency should be added in the pigmentation treatment program wherever possible to improve the effects of the pigmentation lasers, as it improves efficacy and reduces complications, potentially by stabilizing the activity of melasma.
Freckles and age spots
- Fairly easy to remove with the Discovery Pico Plus laser utilizing the 694nm ruby wavelength and usually respond within a few pigmentation treatment sessions
- Very light or faint pigmentation on the skin like age spots may sometimes respond better to fractional thulium laser
- With appropriate skin after-care such as pigmentation creams, sun protection and oral supplements, these usually don’t come back very quickly once removed.
Cafe au lait macules
- Respond well to the Discovery Pico Plus laser utilizing the 694nm ruby wavelength
- Prone to recurrence and may require repeat treatment or combination treatment with fractional thulium laser
Nevus of Ota or Hori’s nevus
- Situated deeper in the skin, hence their bluish or greyish appearance
- Tend to be more stubborn requiring more sessions and higher power
- Will respond to Discovery Pico Plus laser utilizing the 694nm ruby wavelength (for most) and/or 1064nm wavelength (for darker skin types or deeper skin pigmentation)
- In Dr Wan’s experience, although the process takes longer, the final result is often very gratifying as the difference is very visible and the pigmentation doesn’t tend to recur.
Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH)
- Results from excessive pigmentation produced in response to inflammation on the skin such as insect bites, wounds, acne, etc
- Facial skin PIH responds rapidly to Discovery Pico Plus laser utilizing the 694nm ruby wavelength or 1064nm for darker skin types or more sensitive skin
- Upper limb and especially leg PIH are trickier to deal with, often requiring longer courses of pigmentation treatment and sometimes oral medication.
Frequently Asked Questions
let us clear your doubts!
Apart from laser treatment, chemical peels can be used for treating pigmentation such as freckles and melasma. Chemical peels contain ingredients and acids that penetrate deep into treatment areas of the skin to alter pigmentation. These chemicals cause the outer layer of the skin dissolve and have a reaction, creating a small injury to the skin surface. This triggers skin to heal itself and encourages collagen production, eventually alleviating pigmentation problems like freckles and melasma.
This depends on the type of pigmentation and melanin you have. Pigmentation on the skin’s surface can be removed entirely, but conditions like melasma usually achieve a 70-90% reduction rate.