why do it?
A normal vaginal canal is characterized by a thick, folded, self-lubricated lining with copious blood supply.
Just like other parts of the body such as the face, as ladies age, the female genitalia may become loose and lax leading to vaginal relaxation syndrome (VRS). With each round of childbirth vaginal trauma and increasing age, the vagina may not recover to its original tightness. Menopause-related hormonal vulvovaginal atrophy also contributes. The vaginal wall loses collagen and elasticity, becoming pale, fragile, thin and flattened. Blood flow is reduced, vaginal secretions dry up, and irritation and bleeding may occur after minimal trauma.
A major problem VRS may bring is decreased sensation during intercourse, lessening sexual satisfaction for both the lady and her partner (often referred to as a “loose vagina”). Urinary incontinence (UI) is another associated problem that can be extremely debilitating. Affected ladies may become apprehensive to go out socially or even to work because of the humiliation of unpredictable, involuntary loss of bladder control.
Safe and effective Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatment
with our evidence-based treatments
Fractional CO2 Laser Vaginoplasty / Vaginal Rejuvenation
Ultrapulse fractional CO2 laser is strongly absorbed by water in cells. It produces ablation of a fraction of the skin vaporizing many tiny channels. Due to the short pulse duration, there is deep penetration of the skin with minimal collateral damage, reducing downtime and risk of complications. A special vaginal handpiece with gold mirrors directs the fractional scanner output onto the vaginal wall, aimed at tightening the vulvovaginal supportive structures thus restoring vaginal tone.
- improve vaginal canal blood flow via a thermal response, to restore elasticity and moisture
- improve mucosal extracellular matrix, improving muscle tone and function
- reduce infection and chronic vaginitis via vaginal barrier function restoration
- improve external vulvar tissue cosmesis, urinary continence, and sexual function
Compared to other options like radiofrequency, fractional ultrapulse CO2 can produce more critical controlled damage with more precise depth control.
Noninvasive approaches for Vaginal Rejuvenation
- behavioural training such as Kegel exercises to tighten pelvic floor musculature and to a lesser extent the vaginal wall
- “tightening creams”, hormonal creams, sprays and other medications
- limited temporary effectiveness
Surgical procedures for Vaginal Rejuvenation
- vaginal and associated tissues are cut, rearranged and tightened surgically
- significant and longer lasting effects but require downtime for recovery
- involving much greater risks such as scar formation or nerve damage
1Aesthetics's View on Vaginal Rejuvenation
dr wan's perspective
Vaginal loosening and atrophy are common, especially after childbirth or menopause.
Many ladies are concerned with vaginal laxity and incontinence but only a small proportion seek help as they are often embarrassed and reluctant to seek treatment. Even after consulting a doctor, they may find non-invasive approaches cumbersome or ineffective, and yet may be afraid to undertake the serious risks of invasive surgery.
Dr Wan believes that laser vaginal rejuvenation strikes a balanced option, giving more significant and sustained effects compared to non-invasive treatment while posing significantly fewer risks, discomfort and recovery time than surgery.
You can always have surgery later.
Patients undergoing laser vaginal rejuvenation often feel only a warm feeling. While each patient is different, most patients require about 3-4 sessions and can sometimes start to see improvements after a month.
Dr Wan is committed to addressing patients’ concerns seriously in a private, comfortable setting and a patient, professional manner.